Applications will be accepted on a roling basis.
We will contact you for a brief phone or in-person interview if you meet the program requirements. Please provide honest answers to the questions below, and only apply if you are able and willing to complete the program. Thanks!
Participants will be required to complete 15 hours of work or more, depending on the bike chosen. These hours will be a combination of volunteering and specific classes on bike mechanics/repair and safe riding skills.
Participants may apply online or in person. All potential participants will be contacted and interviewed, preferably by phone. Priority may be given to those who have been referred by a partner organization or another human services agency.
Participants are responsible for tracking their hours using a log sheet stored at SCB. You must be located in the Charleston, SC area to participate in this program, as it takes place at our shop located at 3310 Rivers Ave, North Charleston SC 29405.
Time commitment per individual: minimum of 15 hours total
- 1.5 hours - Fix-A-Flat/Basic Mechanics Class - every 1st & 3rd Sunday of the month
- 1.5 hours - Bike Safety and Riding Skills Clinic - every 2nd & 4th Sunday of the month
- 5 hours - Intro Volunteering (processing tubes, cleaning, organizing)
- 3 hours - Intermediate Volunteering (cruisers/single speeds and/or youth bikes)
- 2 hours – Advanced Volunteering (geared bikes or any bikes requiring more complex repairs)
- 2+ hours - Working On Your Own Bike (with mechanic assistance)
For now, volunteer hours can be completed anytime we are open, but the participant must arrive at least 2 hours before we close. Advance notice is appreciated.
Participants will receive a u-lock, a waterproof rechargeable light set, and a helmet (if available) upon completion of program.
Additional volunteer hours can be completed to earn shop credit towards bikes valued over $150 or to purchase specialty parts and accessories. (1 hour = $10)
All applicant information and answers provided below are confidential.
If you have any questions, feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.