Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Lee’s Summit Underwater Rescue & Recovery!
We welcome all qualified individuals with the ability to commit their time, energy and expertise to help us with our mission.
Important: This is a very demanding volunteer position. Our team holds required meetings once a month, training days six times per year, and quarterly equipment maintenance days. Due to the nature of emergency calls, every team member needs to be available 24/7/365 and notify the Director anytime they will not be available for an operation (e.g., vacations, etc.)
MINIMUM STANDARDS FOR ALL APPLICANTS
• Complete the online LSUR New Member Application (below)
• Meet with a LSUR Board Member for an interview (must bring copies of all certifications and Dive Logbook or copy of last 12 months)
• Be at least 21 years of age
• Have a valid Driver’s License
• Be a citizen of the United States
• Consent to a criminal background check. Applicant must not have any felony, alcohol or illicit drug related convictions within the last five years. ($25 Donation to LSUR to cover cost is appreciated.)
• Show a willingness to help LSUR accomplish its goals and objectives
• Allot sufficient time for training and responses
• Have reliable personal transportation
• Accept advice and directions willingly
• Have the ability to lift 50 pounds without assistance
• Be in a physically fit condition to perform duties without risk of injury to themselves or others
• Satisfactorily complete a surface swim test and survival float
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR RESCUE DIVER APPLICANTS
• Have a minimum of 10 hours of logged down time within the last two years
• Be certified as an Open Water Diver of a nationally certifying agency or an equivalent rating
• Have the ability to don and doff their SCUBA equipment, without assistance, in and out of the water
• Be able to successfully pass a Medical Examination and complete a Medical History form SF93 (will be issued to applicant at a later time)
• Satisfactorily complete a basic SCUBA skills evaluation.