The Brown Daily Herald's Financial Assistance Program supports students whose financial obligations, especially through work-study or other jobs, prevent or hinder their participation in Herald activities. The Financial Assistance Program was established by a generous Herald supporter and continues to be funded 100% by donations. More information is available at tinyurl.com/BDHfinaid.
- $120,000+ awarded to date
- 120+ students supported, most for multiple semesters
- Open to all current staffers with at least one semester of Herald experience
- Supported 100% by donations
- Includes Rattner-Stewart Scholarship, generously established in 2016 by Steven Rattner '74 in honor of his friend and fellow Herald editor Bob Stewart '74
"It's simple: without my time at The Herald, and the help of the assistance program, I never would have pursued a career in journalism." - Justin Elliott '07
"I know how important this kind of aid is in keeping both college and professional newsrooms diverse. ... With the generous spirit of alumni, I hope we can continue affording students like myself the opportunities to pursure their passion for college journalism." - Tonya Riley '15