Starting Point: Services for Victims of Domestic & Sexual Violence is a not-for-profit agency comprised of a small staff of professionals and trained volunteers.
Our goal is to address and ultimately end the cycle of violence in the home while supporting victims with dignity and compassion. Our advocacy on behalf of victims includes a wide variety of support services. In the fiscal year 2017 alone, Starting Point served 400 individuals and providing over 4,200 services, right here in Carroll County.
Rebuilding a life after violence is never a smooth journey. Our trained advocates, both professional and volunteer, are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to assist victims on their road to healing. In addition to 24 hour support via our crisis line, we also provide emergency shelter for those in need. Starting Point advocates on any given day may also:
- Strategize with a woman about how to leave her abusive partner and stay as safe as possible;
- Meet with a victim in the hospital who needs to talk about her relationship and the abuse she has experienced;
- Shelter a woman and her two children who are fleeing abuse and have nowhere safe to go;
- Help children in shelter attend a summer enrichment program;
- Support a family at the child advocacy center whose child disclosed sexual abuse;
- Assist shelter guests in setting and meeting goals for living independently;
- Support a teen who was sexually assaulted or abused by another; and
- Educate high school students about sexual consent and how to communicate with their partners.
Starting Point is supported through individual donations, special events, private grants, Carroll County municipalities and through Federal Government and State of New Hampshire victims’ assistance programs. However, each year state and federal funding continues to decrease and Starting Point must increasingly rely on the generosity of our donors.
Please support this important work and make a donation now! You will make a difference in the life of someone living right here in Carroll County.