What happens when you infuse memoir and magical realism? You get something new, interesting, and bold that's rooted in YOUR story. Writing should never be limited. The frontiers of what can be created are endless. In seeking to stretch the imagination, uncharted terrain can be discovered. The story evolves with more depth beyond reality.
Through partner exercises, group sharing, and lesson modules, we will work toward creating a piece of writing that combines magic and memoir. In this 2 hour masterclass, Echo will discuss:
* Memoir and magic writing tips and techniques
* Navigating personal experiences for dynamic memories
* Developing systems of magic
* Creating compelling, well-rounded protagonists based on your own story
* The fusion point between memoir and magic
Packed with practical guidance, actionable tactics, and examples from already published books, this class will provide a wellspring of writing guidance.
NOTE: Your ticket to this event will include a copy of The Chosen One by Echo Brown.
Due to the recent spike in Omicron cases, we have updated our COVID-19 protocols for this event.
- We are now requiring proof of vaccination for all attendees at the door
- We are still requiring mask wearing throughout the event
- Please prioritize the safety of yourself and others, and do not attend if you're feeling ill or if you've been exposed to COVID.
If you have any questions or concerns, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Instructor: Echo Brown is the award-winning author of Black Girl Unlimited: The Remarkable Story of a Teenage Wizard, which was named a William C. Morris Award Finalist, a School Library Journal Best Book of the Year, a New York Public Library Best Book of the Year, a CCBC Choice Title, and a Rise: A Feminist Book Project Selection, among other honors; as well as The Chosen One: A First-Generation Ivy League, which Booklist praised as “powerful and vulnerable” in a starred review. A performer and playwright, Echo created the acclaimed one-woman show Black Virgins Are Not for Hipsters. She is a Dartmouth alumna and the first female college graduate in her family.
Details: Beyond Reality: When Magic Meets Memoir takes place in-person Saturday, January 29 from 10:30am-12:30pm at Loganberry Books (13015 Larchmere Blvd., Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120).