The Arts Alive in Agriculture Juried Art Show is an annual juried art show that honors the agricultural roots, resources, and traditions of the ethnically-diverse communities in the Central Valley, a large expanse of rich farm land throughout California's San Joaquin Valley that produces the fruits and crops needed to feed the world. The Fresno Arts Council seeks to highlight the Central Valley's agricultural industry by showing original works of art created by Central Valley-based artists.
- Agricultural Landscapes
- People & Agriculture
- Machines & Technology in Agriculture
- Documentary Photography
- Manipulated Photography
- Sculpture, Assemblage & Found Objects
2020 PROGRAM SCHEDULE
January 2, 2020 Call for Entries officially opens
March 1, 2020 Deadline for all entries is 11:59 PM PST
March 9, 2020 Acceptance Notifications
March 13, 2020 Delivery of artwork to Fresno Arts Council headquarters in Downtown Fresno
April 2, 2020 Public Opening & Reception at Fresno City Hall with Announcement of Awards
April 27, 2020 Final day for artists to retrieve unsold artwork*
* All sculptures must be retrieved immediately following the public opening & reception on Thursday, April 2, 2020, from City Hall.
Open to artists ages 18 years and older as of January 1, 2020, who reside in the Central Valley, California.
DISCIPLINES: at this time, we are seeking only original artworks within the visual arts disciplines (painting, illustration, drawing, documentary photography, manipulated photography) and three-dimensional visual arts disciplines (sculpture, pottery, assemblage, found objects, metalwork) only. Original artworks from other disciplines such as literature, performance, music, etc. will not be considered for this juried art exhibition.
RULES OF ENTRY:
- Applicant must be the sole creator of the original artwork(s) submitted.
- Applicant must be at least 18 years of age on or before January 1, 2020.
- Applicant must reside within the Central Valley region in California.
- Submit a brief and concise one-page cover letter for each application, detailing up to three (3) works of art submitted for the 2020 Arts Alive in Agriculture Juried Art Show, including the following:
- Daytime Contact Information: full name, mailing address, telephone numbers, e-mail, and artist or personal website URL (if available).
- Full Description Of Artwork: media, style, dimensions, weight (if applicable), and general subject matter.
- Artworks submitted for the 2020 Arts Alive in Agriculture Juried Art Show must have been completed between the 2018-2020 calendar years, and must be original works of art. Copies and/or replications of original artworks will not be accepted.
- Applicant is responsible for shipping and handling of all original artworks to the Fresno Arts Council office located at 1245 Van Ness Avenue, Fresno CA 93721.
- All original artworks must be received by the Fresno Arts Council on or before March 13, 2020, for cataloguing and installation.
- The Fresno Arts Council will provide local transport of original artworks (with reasonable limits) to and from our office in Downtown Fresno to Fresno City Hall for installation only.
- Applicant is responsible for all shipping and handling activities, including processing fees, related to the mailing and return of said original artworks.
- The Fresno Arts Council is not responsible for storing sculptures, assemblage & found object installations after the closing of the 2020 Arts Alive in Agriculture Juried Art Show on Thursday, April 2, 2020, at 8:00 PM PDT.
- Applicants may submit up to the three (3) original artworks at a time.
- The entry fees are due at the time of submitted application, and are as follows:
- One artwork submitted: $30.00
- Two artworks submitted: $40.00
- Three artworks submitted: $50.00
- Applicants may submit as many individual applications as desired; all fees apply.
- Applicants must upload digital images of each original artwork submitted in each application:
- Images must capture the entire original artwork. No cropped images accepted.
- Images must be in .jpg format, and no wider than 1280 pixels.
- Images must be reasonably crisp, or at least 72 dpi resolution.
- Images must not be larger than 2MB each.
- If image files must be compressed, please select medium compression quality.
- EACH IMAGE FILE must be labeled using this format: last name_first name_title of artwork submitted, e.g. Smith_Rachel_Tractors After The Rain
- Regarding Framed Artwork: each original artwork must be fully-dried, framed, securely-wired, and ready-to-hang. Acrylic is preferred over glass, for safety purposes.
- Maximum weight limit for each original artwork is fifty (50) pounds.
- Maximum dimensions for each original artwork is thirty-four (34) inches tall, and no wider than sixty (60) inches across.
- Regarding Three-Dimensional Works Of Art: applicant must be available in person to transport these original artworks from Fresno City Hall immediately after the close of the 2020 Arts Alive in Agriculture Juried Art Show on Thursday, April 2, 2020, after 8:00 PM PDT. The Fresno Arts Council is not responsible for the storage, transport, and/or shipping and handling of three-dimensional artworks to the applicant following the event, i.e. 2020 Arts Alive in Agriculture.
- All submitted original artworks must be available for purchase.
- Entrants selected for the 2020 Arts Alive in Agriculture Juried Art Show will be notified by e-mail and/or phone from a representative from the Fresno Arts Council by the End Of the Day (EOD) on Monday, March 9, 2020. Please do not call or e-mail the Fresno Arts Council regarding the status of your entry prior to March 9, 2020.
- Notified entrants will be requested to provide a brief artist's bio of 100 words (or less) after March 9, 2020; and be asked to sign a Fresno Arts Council Release of Liability Form to complete the registration process.
PANEL OF JURORS TO BE ANNOUNCED FEBRUARY 2020:
The 2020 Arts Alive in Agriculture Juried Art Show panel of judges will be composed of qualified artists and arts patrons from the agriculture & arts communities.