The Reel Grrls Summer Apprenticeship Program is a unique 2-part program:
- Call the Shots: This hands-on video production workshop provides up to 20 grrls with a creative storytelling opportunity building skills and focus through intensive workshops and one-on-one sessions with mentors, including professional filmmakers and teaching artists.
- Make it Reel: You've been using video to tell your own stories, but what is it like to create a film for a client? Spend your summer at Reel Grrls honing your production skills and gaining experience creating client videos! Grrls in this program will work with Instructors and Mentors who are professionals in the field to see a client project through to completion.
This program will be led by long time media producer and youth development specialist Reid Kuennen.
Grrls will get more experience with:
- Media Literacy and what makes high quality and engaging media
- Media Justice and how to use media as a tool for social change and empowerment
- Digital Storytellers and how to use advanced tools to amplify their voice
- Advanced Audio Production
- Editing and Post Production
- Pre-Production and Storyboarding
- DSLR Cinematography
This production series includes:
- Advanced DSLR cinematography workshop
- A 2-day Audio Engineering Intensive
- A 3-day Editing Intensive
Weekly classes in:
- Client Relations
- Project Planning and Budgeting
- Location Scouting
- and Deliverables.
Priority Registration Deadline: Friday, April 30th. Registrations will be taken until June 1st
Who can apply:
Female, transgender, and gender non-conforming youth ages 15-22.
Prerequisites: No previous video production or animation experience required!
Dates: Monday July 10th – Friday, August 4, 10am-4pm (no weekends - we will not be meeting formally between Jul 21 - Jul 31, students will be working in the field with their mentors and clients)
Students who complete the series will gain real-world experience creating professional films for a nonprofit client, and will become eligible for paid opportunities with Reel Grrls Productions!
Applicants should have:
- Strong time management skills
- Willingness to be flexible and available in order to meet the shooting and production schedules of both clients and professional teaching artists
- Be willing to make the Summer Apprenticeship their priority for the duration of the program
How to apply: Complete and submit the online application below. Please note, your application is not complete until you have submitted your deposit.
Contact us at: email@example.com or 206-375-1132
This program is made possible thanks to the City of Seattle's Office Arts and Culture, Uncle Harry's Natural Products, and the Derschang Group, Woodhull Institute, Ariel Fund, Lewis Greenwood Foundation, ArtsWA, and 4Culture.