The Reel Grrls Summer Apprenticeship Program is a unique 2-part program that offers advanced video production and leadership training to experienced youth media makers. This program will be led by long time media producer and youth development specialist Reid Kuennen.
The first part of the program, "Call the Shots," is open to all who register, while the second part of the Apprenticeship program, "Make it Reel," is a competetive process that welcomes those that successfully completes Call the Shots to apply to be part of the Make it Reel team. Make it Reel participants will be able to receive a small stipend for their participation.
Grrls will get more experience with:
- Media Literacy and what makes high quality and engaging media
- Media Justice and how to use media as a tool for social change and empowerment
- Digital Storytellers and how to use advanced tools to amplify their voice
Application Deadline: Friday, April 8th
Who can apply:
Female, transgender, and gender non-conforming youth ages 13-22.
Part 1: Call The Shots
Ages 13 - 22 years | up to 20 spaces available
10am -4pm (60 hours) | Jul 6th - 20th 2017 |South Seattle
This hands-on video production workshop provides up to 20 grrls with a creative storytelling opportunity building skills and focus through intensive workshops and one-on-one sessions with mentors, including professional filmmakers and teaching artists.
The program includes:
- Advanced Audio Production
- Editing and Post Production
- Pre-Production and Storyboarding
- DSLR Cinematography
- Kick Off: Thursday, Jul 6th, 12pm-4pm
- Week 1: Friday, Jul 7th – Friday, July 14th, 10am-4pm (no weekends)
- Week 2: Monday, Jul 17th – Friday, July 20th, 10am-4pm
Part 2 - Make It Reel
Ages 15 - 22 years | up to 12 spaces available
10am -4pm (42-60 hours) | July 31st -Aug 7th, 2017 | South Seattle
You've been using video to tell your own stories, but what is it like to create a film for a client? Spend your summer at Reel Grrls honing your production skills and gaining experience creating client videos! Grrls in this program will work with Instructors and Mentors who are professionals in the field to see a client project through to completion. Students who complete the series will gain real-world experience creating professional films for a nonprofit client, and will become eligible for paid opportunities with Reel Grrls Productions!
This production series includes:
- Advanced DSLR cinematography workshop
- A 2-day Audio Engineering Intensive
- A 3-day Editing Intensive
Weekly classes in:
- Client Relations
- Project Planning and Budgeting
- Location Scouting
- and Deliverables.
Up to 12 grrls (ages 15-22) will be selected for this program from Part 1: Call The Shots. Grrls with equivalent experience will also be considered by RG staff ensuring that all participants are comfortable with the advanced level of this program.
Applicants should have:
- Strong time management skills
- Willingness to be flexible and available in order to meet the shooting and production schedules of both clients and professional teaching artists
- Be willing to make the Summer Apprenticeship their priority for the duration of the program
How to apply: Complete and submit the online application below. Please note, your application is not complete until you have submitted your deposit.
Contact us at: email@example.com or 206-375-1132
This program is made possible thanks to the City of Seattle's Office Arts and Culture, Uncle Harry's Natural Products, and the Derschang Group, Woodhull Institute, and 4Culture.