Veterans' Voices 2022-2023
Have a story to tell? Enjoy writing poetry? Working on a novel or memoir?
Join Literary Cleveland's free creative writing workshop to generate new writing, complete in-class exercises, receive feedback on your work, get inspired by great readings, and bond with fellow group members.
Have fun with writing. Discover your voice. Tell your story. All genres and experience levels are welcome.
Kickoff Event in-person at the downtown Cleveland Public Library
Writing Workshops Phase 1 (Oct-Nov, 2022)
- 4-week prose workshop – Mondays, Oct. 3-24 from 6:30-8:30pm online
- 4-week poetry workshop – Wednesdays, Oct. 5-26 from 6:30-8:30pm online
- 4-week prose workshop – Mondays, Nov. 7-28 from 6:30-8:30pm online
- 4-week poetry workshop – Wednesdays, Nov. 9-30 from 6:30-8:30pm online
Writing Workshops Phase 2 (Jan-Mar, 2023)
- 8-week prose workshop – Tuesdays, Jan. 10-Feb. 28 from 6:30-8:30pm online
- 8-week poetry workshop – Wednesdays, Jan. 11-Mar. 1 from 6:30-8:30pm online
Anthology Publication (June, 2023)
Note: This program is specifically for those who have served in the United States Armed Forces or military.
This program is presented in partnership with the VA Northeast Ohio Healthcare System. For more information, please contact a Whole Health Team Member at (216) 791-3800 ext. 62257 or 62394.
This program is possible thanks to funding from the Char and Chuck Fowler Family Foundation and a National Endowment for the Arts Creative Forces Community Engagement grant.
Instructor: Mansa L. Bey is a Moorish-American Poet and Mixed Media Folk Artist from Cleveland, Ohio. Centering the experience and expressions of identity and indigeneity, Bey's passion for poetry on the page, the oral tradition of griot style spoken word and visual poetry converge to display a body of work that is emblematic of the connection between the cosmos and the community.