TITLE: Interpreter/Translator - French Language
DEPARTMENT: Social Services Dept.
PROGRAM(S): FreedomLives (FL) & FreedomWorks (FW)
SUPERVISOR(S): Nailah Brown (FL) & Penny Logan (FW)
OPENING(S): 1 - 2
SCHEDULING AVAILABILITY: Monday - Friday, 9am - 5p
HOURS COMMITMENT: 5 hours/month
DESCRIPTION: Interpreting conversations and translating documents from French to English and vice versa. Conversations and documents may be legal in nature or may contain intimate and personal details that may relate to medical, psychological, or traumatic experiences. Services will be provided remotely via teleconference, video software, and digital document sharing.
- High proficiency in writing, speaking, and reading French.
- Reliable phone, computer, and robust, private internet connection.
- Proficiency in Google Apps and video and teleconferencing software.
- Certification in translation and/or interpretation a plus.
- Previous translating/interpreting experience is a plus.
- Interpret conversations in real-time between English and French speakers.
- Translate French-language documents into their American-English equivalents. Translations must be completed accurately and by deadlines.
- Regularly report volunteer hours/service by entering time into an online form.
- Remote/Work from home.
- Confidential: All volunteers are required to sign a Confidentiality Agreement.
- Exposure to sensitive, graphic content. Interested candidates should assess their ability to serve under these conditions.